Quick and easy cheap meals for students.
Moving to university this year but unsure of what to cook and how to cook once you’re there? Well, worry no more and load up on these quick and easy mouth-watering meals to get you through your first year of student living.
1. Minestrone Soup.
This easy delicious dish is ready to eat in just 10 minutes! Perfect for a quick pit stop between learning and living. This meal is also packed full of nutritious, solid ingredients and is sure to help fight off the dreaded Fresher’s flu.
1 hot vegetable stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
100g thin spaghetti, broken into short lengths
350g frozen mixed vegetables
drizzle of olive oil
grated parmesan-style cheese to serve
1. Fill a pan with boiling water and boil on the stove.
2. Add the stock cube and tomatoes, then add the spaghetti and cook until done.
3. When the pasta is starting to look cooked, add the veg.
4. Simmer for two minutes until everything is cooked.
5. Serve up and sprinkle the cheese.
2. Pasta Bake.
Ready in no time, this classic student staple is a must have to pop into your student cook book. Full of the good stuff, pasta bake will fill you up and leave you feeling happy and healthy. It’s freezer friendly too so you can stock up and have it as a mid-week meal saving you £££’s.
1 onion – peeled + chopped
2 cloves – peeled + crushed
a splash of olive oil
lots of cheese
a pinch of sea salt
1. Set oven to 180 degrees.
2. Fry the onion and garlic.
3. On the stove, boil a pan full of water and add a pinch of sea salt.
4. Once the water is boiling hot, add the pasta.
5. When the pasta is cooked, add to an ovenproof dish with the garlic and onion and sprinkle cheese on top.
6. Place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
3. Toastie Pizza.
For those times when cheese on toast just isn’t cutting it. Throw on some tomatoes and hey presto! You’ve made yourself a delightful Toastie Pizza. Works for all meal times, it’s super simple to make and super tasty to eat!
2 slices of bread
1 fresh tomato
1. Set the grill to the highest heat.
2. Pop both slices of bread under the grill with the cheese on top.
3. While the bread and cheese is cooking, chop up the tomatoes.
4. Cook until the cheese has melted and the bread is slightly golden brown.
5. Remove from the grill and add the tomatoes.
4. Chicken Chow Mein.
Once you’ve made this for the first time, you’ll be sat in your lectures dreaming of when you can make it again! Full of flavour, this oriental belly filler will keep you smiling long after it has hit your lips.
1 chicken breast
1 packet of medium noodles
1 sachet of chow mein stir fry sauce
1 green/red pepper
splash of cooking oil
1. Chop up the chicken and pepper.
2. Add a splash of oil to a frying pan and fry the chicken until golden brown.
3. Add the pepper to the pan and cook until done.
4. Throw in all of the chow mein stir fry sauce and add the noodles.
5. Serve up and enjoy!
5. Chicken Satay Salad Wraps.
A slight twist on chicken fajitas, this fun and easy meal is great to share with friends and whips up in a flash.
1tbsp olive oil
3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into finger-sized strips
4 tbsp peanut butter
1tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
juice of 1 lime
flour wraps (as many as you need)
1. Heat up the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken until golden brown.
2. Add peanut butter, lime juice, soy/chilli sauces into the pan and stir to combine.
3. Pour out into a bowl, and serve into the flour wraps.
We hope you enjoy getting stuck in and having a bash at creating these super easy meals.
Share this post